Eastpackers is looking for shiny volunteers to join the “sunny volunteer project” in Slovenia, who would like to work with kids and young people in a youth center in Slovenia.
Mladinski EPI center Piran is a youth center on the Slovenian coast that aims to provide young people. Living or going to school in the Municipality of Piran with the following:
- a safe place where they can spend their free time
- organized extracurricular activities (theatre, language clubs, arts etc.)
- support and guidance
- help with homework and studying
- international youth exchanges
- volunteering opportunities
- career orientation activities and more.
The youth center operates in two small towns – Piran and Lucija.
Both youth centers are open from Monday to Friday in the afternoon (except on public holidays). During the summer (and other holidays), we organize activities for children aged 6 to 10 years old in the form of a “day camp”. The youth that we usually work with are between 10 and 19 years old, but with different projects we try to involve all young people up to the age of 29. The staff consists of 5 youth workers and some volunteers.
Working hours and days off:
Working days will mostly be from Monday to Friday, for around 6 hours per day, mostly in the afternoon (1pm -7pm). Evenings and weekends will be free. In the summer, working hours will be between 9 am and 3 pm. The volunteers will have an opportunity to take some working days off. For each working month the volunteer gets 2 days off. (for example for a 12 month project you get 24 days of vacation) There will also be organised free-time activities, language courses and other educational activities, which will not be obligatory to attend. The first weeks will consist of an introduction, and allow for time to get to know each other, as well as the working areas and the culture of Slovenia. We will use the final part of the voluntary working period to write the volunteer’s final report and to finalise the Youthpass (the mentors will have an active supporting role).
The volunteer will have a monthly bus pass for the bus from Piran to Lucija.
Alles over dit project
• Socialising with users (kids & young people) - playing board games, sports, talking ...
• Running different free time, creative, educational workshops (based on his/her abilities and interest)
• Assisting in daily activities of the youth centre (helping kids with homework etc.)
• Help with career guidance for young people
• Raising awareness among young people about the possibilities of the Erasmus + / ESC program
• Preparing a language club for young people in their own language or other language (non-formal learning of foreign languages)
• Assistance in designing promotional materials
• Writing / taking photos for the website, Instagram, Facebook etc.
• Assistance in the preparation and implementation of (international) projects (e.g. youth exchanges)
• Developing a personal project
• Participation in weekly team meetings
- Willingness to learn Slovenian
- Interested in working with youth, interested in theater, language clubs and arts
- Able to take own initiative
- Interested in the Balkan culture
• be reimbursed for travel costs (max 275 EUR per volunteer)
• have a task related mentor and external mentor
• have an opportunity to develop a personal project
• have the opportunity to follow an online Slovenian language course Online Linguistic Support (OLS)
The volunteers will live in a student residence in Portorož that functions as a hostel in the summer. During the school year each volunteer will have their own room (sharing the bathroom with max. 1 other person and a small kitchen for the whole floor). During the summer (July, August) the volunteer might need to share a room with another volunteer/student (depending on the occupancy of the residence).
Living in the residence the volunteers will have the opportunity to meet high school and university students from all over Slovenia and from other countries. The student residence also has a cafeteria, where the volunteers can have their breakfast / lunch / dinner if they want. The residence website: http://dijaski.geps.si/
The bus stop, supermarket and beach are nearby - 450m (6 min walking). The youth center in Piran is 2 km away and the center in Lucija is 3 km away, so the volunteers will get a monthly bus pass.
Start and end period: From April/May 2019 to March/April 2020 (can be flexible)
Waarom kiezen voor Eastpackers?
Piran is a beautiful coastal town with medieval architecture, narrow streets and compact houses and is one of Slovenia's major tourist attractions.
Portorož is mostly a town of beaches and hotels, so in the summer months it is full of tourists and in the winter months is very quiet.
Lucija is the place where most of the local people live, so it has a lot of houses and apartment buildings, some shops and local businesses. All in all it is a very calm place to live. More information and photos: https://www.portoroz.si/en/ The town on Koper where more things are happening and there are more shops etc. is only 15 km away, and Ljubljana (the capital city of Slovenia) is only 100 km away.
Er zijn wel een aantal voorwaarden verbonden aan deelname aan dit project. Je moet tussen de 18 en 30 jaar oud zijn, minimaal 6 en liefst 9 maanden beschikbaar zijn (voor andere projecten is dit soms anders) en gemotiveerd zijn om full-time vrijwilligerswerk te doen in Slovenië.