Animal lovers, behold! Eastpackers is looking for one volunteer who would like to work in an animal shelter in the heart of Portugal!
The project will take place in Central Portugal for 12 months. In this project we invite one volunteer from the Netherlands. The receiving organization, Louzanimales, is an animal shelter and mainly works on awareness of animal rights for the local community. The target groups are mainly children, youth and young adults.
We appreciate young volunteers that are: open minded, feeling confident with the objectives of the Host organisation, are creative, taking initiatives, having a sense of responsibilities, organised and able to adapt to different conditions of living and work, flexible to establish relations with different persons. It’s very interesting when volunteers have special abilities to contribute to the projects, although it’s not necessary to have any special knowledge, education or skills.
The methodology we use will be based on non formal learning, inter cultural learning and learning by doing.
Working hours and days off:
Working hours: The number of working hours will be between 30 and 38 hours per week and scheduled according to the volunteers needs, wishes, learning objectives and the scheduled activities within the organisation.
Breaks and holidays: The week-end will be free except in special occasions. In this case the volunteer will choose other 2 days. The volunteer can take regular holidays (we calculate 2 days per month)..
The volunteer will be provided with a bicycle.
The volunteer will be given the opportunity to access the Online Language Support provided by the Erasmus+ program.
Alles over dit project
•Practical animal care: Feeding, giving water, cleaning bowls, poop scooping, changing bedding, washing dog houses, inspecting and reporting heath or behaviour issues, socializing and comforting the dogs; teaching dogs basic obedience commands and grooming them are some of the daily activities at the site.
• Cat colonies control: The volunteer will make a virtual map of cat colonies that can be shared with other institutions and people. The Volunteer will be asked to assist with the capture, neuter, release scheme of the cat colonies.
• Educational material: at school workshops about basic needs of companion animals, responsible ownership, importance of neutering and spaying, safety around pets, etc. so we are in constant need of new educational resources to deliver children new ways to talk to them about this issues.
Videos, games, role play, theatre, drawings, etc. • The volunteer will participate in events organised by Louzanimales for example, dog walks, fund raising events, assisting in the new shop/HQ, helping at the monthly market with selling items to help fund the Association. The function of the new shop is to provide advice and help on animals.
matters, to promote the work of Louzanimales and to promote adoptions of the cats and dogs in Lousa. It is intended that the shop will be open 2 mornings a week for a few hours each morning.
• Individual projects: During the voluntary service, the volunteer will have the opportunity to think, prepare and execute their own project with the help of the mentor and the members of the association. A special and regular meeting during the week is defined to achieve this objective.
- willingness to learn Portugese
- Love to work with animals
- able to take own initiative
- open minded
- feeling confident with the objectives of the Host organisation.
- are creative
- having a sense of responsibilities, organised and able to adapt to different conditions of living and work.
- flexible to establish relations with different persons.
It’s very interesting when volunteers have special abilities to contribute to the projects, although it’s not necessary to have any special knowledge, education or skills.
The volunteer will receive 100 Euros as food allowance each month, directly from the hosting organization. Lunches during the working days are provided by the hosting organization.
The volunteers’ apartment has 4 bedrooms (2 down, 2 up), a kitchen and living room are combined (includes also a fireplace), a common room upstairs (has space for visitors to stay the night) and 2 bathrooms.
Winters here in Lousã are pretty humid. The houses in Portugal don’t have the same cold isolation as the northern countries (for example there’s no central heating), so the winters inside the houses are tough. We advice the volunteers to bring warm clothes and warm pyjamas.
The Volunteers’ House has towels (we’d still suggest to the volunteers to bring their own), bed sheets and blankets.
There is internet in the house. The internet connection is pretty fast and limitless. In addition, almost every cafe has a WIFI connection. There is no phone in The Volunteer’s House. However the volunteers will be guided into the process of getting a Portuguese SIM card.
Waarom kiezen voor Eastpackers?
Er zijn wel een aantal voorwaarden verbonden aan deelname aan dit project. Je moet tussen de 18 en 30 jaar oud zijn, minimaal 6 en liefst 9 maanden beschikbaar zijn (voor andere projecten is dit soms anders) en gemotiveerd zijn om full-time vrijwilligerswerk te doen in Portugal.